Up until recently, the worst bad word David knew was "butt." Not long ago, he learned the word "a**." I can blame it on public school or friends with older brothers, but I am afraid the truth is, it comes with his age and awareness. Unfortunately, the list of bad words has grown to a few more blushing words. So the other day when he said he heard another bad word, I couldn't imagine what was left. He said, (now brace yourself) "the bad word is sex."
Thank goodness we were in the car, so he couldn't see my face but I could look in the rear view and see his. I somewhat calmly asked, "where did you hear that word?" (Sure enough it was from a friend with two older brothers).
In addition to David in the car, I had Adam who insisted on reviewing animal sounds. "Mama, mama, mama, cow says moo." "Yes, Adam, cow goes moo," I said. "Mama, mama, mama horse says, neigh. "Yes, Adam, horse goes neigh," I said. "Mom, what does sex mean?" David asked impatiently from the backseat. "Mama, mama, mama, cow goes moo." "Yes, Adam, cow goes moo, I said (it always goes moo I wanted to scream). "Mom, I want to know what does sex mean, please tell me, is it a bad word?" "Horse goes neigh," Adam bellowed. "Just tell, me I want to know," David pleaded. "Cow goes moo," once again from Adam. And the mama goes "ahhh!"
So . . . did you answer it???
ReplyDeleteThis story sounds like the "making" of a good children's book . . . or at least a parent instruction/survival book . . . or just a book of funny stories for the mama's soul! (I could add lots of stories for the teacher's or principal's souls!) I know you handled it all "just right"! TB :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Summer that sorry is hilarious and sounds so much like something that would go on in our car! I am so glad to find your blog. Your boys are precious.
ReplyDelete